Friday, June 22, 2007

So much going on these days.

I haven't been keeping up with what I consider to be a regular blogging schedule. Things have been very chaotic lately and I have to apologize for those of you who enjoy reading my occasional pointless ramblings.

First, the unimportant stuff. I'm on a mission (as many of you know) to get all of the state quarters. The program itself runs through 2008 with 5 coins being released each year. It's one of the hobbies (or whatever you'd like to call it) my son and I share. He has his map and I have mine. He's always asking me "Dad, what's the latest quarter that's out?" and of course I'm expected to know the answer at the drop of a hat. When you have 10,000 things on your mind, it's not always easy to keep the schedule straight in your head, but I do try because it's one of the few times my son has shown interest in something other than Gameboy and Legos. (Not that those are bad things. I'm just trying to expand his horizons a little. He's actually quite the little builder with his legos. Like father like son I believe.) Currently, we are both missing Washington (state) and Idaho. But in fairness, the US Mint's website does not officially have Idaho listed as being released. I just know that the schedule falls in such a way that the new coin is typically released in early to mid-June, so I know it's in circulation. Either way, we still don't have Washington and that one has been out since late March or early April.

We also want to start the presidential coins. If you haven't seen them, you should go to www.usmint.gov. The program is similar to the state quarters program, but they will be releasing 4 coins annually with the images of former presidents on them. And for those that are wondering, 2012 will see the release of TWO Grover Cleveland coins. This is being done because he was the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms in office. One coin will be issued for each of his two non-consecutive terms. (1885-1889 and 1893-1897 respectively. Benjamin Harrison served from 1889 to 1893.) Oddly, the program will feature presidents all the way through Gerald Ford (President number 38) but will not feature Ronald Reagan, despite the fact he has passed on. This is being done, I believe, because Jimmy Carter -- who served between Ford and Reagan -- is still living. Should Jimmy Carter die prior to 2016, it's likely that the Carter and Reagan coins will be issued. Likewise, should G.H.W. Bush die prior to 2017, his image will likely be the first to be featured in that year, followed by Bill Clinton and G.W. Bush, should he pass on prior to 2017. As Clinton and Bush Jr. are pretty young fellas, it's likely the program could stop (or take a very long pause) with Bush Sr.

While you're on the USMINT's website, be sure and check out the First Lady coins. They are calling it the "First Spouse" program, on the off chance that Hillary Clinton gets elected president in 2008. After all, Bill wouldn't make a very good First Lady now would he? Personally, I just pray it's not an omen of things to come. If Hillary gets elected president, I swear I'm going to consider moving to Canada, or maybe Cuba. Somewhere the leader isn't such a tyrant.

Those of you who are on the "Sister" watch have been very patient with me, as my family is essentially forced to wait for news from doctors who seem more interested in their golf games than in solving the mystery behind my sister's elevated white blood count. I thank you for your continued prayers and your messages of hope and support.

As you've read, if you've been keeping up with my myspace bulletins, we took Little Man to Shreveport this week to have things looked at. He is scheduled to have his surgery on August 15th at 10:00 a.m. in Shreveport. For those who haven't been keeping up, this is to correct a relatively minor case of hypospadias. He's had two surgeries in the past. One at 12 months, one at 18 months. But the problem still exists. We are hoping this will correct the issue once and for all but the truth is you just never know. Again, I've been touched by your well wishes and messages of encouragement. The good news is that he should be bouncing off the walls within a couple of days of the surgery.And he doesn't start back to school until August 27th, so he should heal in plenty of time to begin 4th grade with a new attitude!

On the writing front, I'm disappointed to say there's not much happening. There is a lot in the planning and development stages but I've been rather inundated with personal life issues lately and haven't had much time for actual work toward this goal. Samantha and I have a couple of side projects we're wanting to work on, along with Indiesearchlight. They're local projects which probably won't interest many of you, but they will be very writing-oriented and I do believe they'll keep us both more focused on our individual careers.

To a similar end, I believe I will hear something fairly soon on the manuscript for In The Breath of God's sequel. I have been praying about it very hard (as have several family members and friends) so I'm doing my best to be patient and trust in God's work. It may not be that I've yet discovered the right direction but even Thomas Edison failed thousands of times before he succeeded. And I rather like his attitude when he said something to the effect "I haven't failed. I've merely discovered thousands of ways a light bulb will not work." I like that. To that end, I don't believe I have failed to publish my book. I've merely discovered hundreds of paths that don't lead to publication. That experience will benefit me in the long run because I can teach others to avoid these pitfalls and dead ends. In the meantime, all I can say to the fans of Alex Mendez, et al, is BE PATIENT. I am already working on the next two stories in the series and I know you will be very pleased and excited to read the continuing adventures of the Mendez clan. They get in some pretty hair-raising predicaments along the way. And if you know me, you'll not be surprised to find out they don't come out entirely unscathed. You'll meet some new faces and, possibly, say goodbye to some favorites. But no matter what, I do believe you will be satisfied with the way the story is progressing. I know that I'm excited to see the characters grow and develop. What time I've been able to spend with them in the past several weeks has been refreshing, invigorating and, at times, bittersweet.

Life is not slowing down for me. Quite the contrary, it's gaining momentum, seemingly with every breath I take. Thank God I feel ready for it. It might overwhelm me in the long run, but I am ready to be overwhelmed. I'm ready to take on new challenges and face the fruits of my labor, whatever that may mean.

Until that time, this blog is brought to you by the letters W, E and H and by the number 2

No comments: