Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Take on Don Imus

Before I am lumped in with Don Imus as a racist, simply because of the color of my skin or the outspoken nature of my blogs, let me say one thing from the beginning. His comments about the Rutgers female basketball players was deplorable. It was stupid, beyond ignorant and a horrifying lapse in judgement. Having said that, has Don Imus ever really had that sound of judgement? Furthermore, has he said anything any less offensive than some of the things fellow SHOCK JOCK, Howard Stern does or says on his show? Granted, Stern hasn't made any blatantly-racial remarks such as the ones Don Imus made on his show, but he's offended 100 people for every 1 Don Imus has offended with this sick perversion.

Now, I'm going to make one thing perfectly clear. I am not excusing what Don Imus did. I am not saying it is acceptable. I am not saying he was right or justified in any way. What I am saying is that two wrongs don't make a right. Taking away this man's livelihood will not undo what was done. These supposed perveyors of forgiveness like Jesse Jackson and The Reverend Al Sharpton are screaming so loudly for Imus' resignation (or firing) that they can't even see past their own blind rage.

I understand you are hurt. I understand you are offended. I might not understand the nature of that hurt. I might not understand the nature of that offense, but I understand the FACT that you are hurt and offended. But does that mean you need to hurt Don Imus? What will that prove, except that you're cut from the same racist mold from which his comments sprang. (I do not believe Don Imus is a racist. His comments, yes, but not him as a person.) You're going to prove that you can be just as anti-white with your actions as Don Imus was anti-black with his comments. Is that what you're after, Rev. Sharpton? Are you out to prove you can stoop to that level of hatred? Or are you out to prove you can rise above it? Because I don't see any rising above. I see you bending knee. I see you bowing to the hatred that was inadvertently spewed in Don Imus' comments. I see you letting it bring you down from the heights to which God can lift you if you will let him.

Jesus said "Love your enemies and pray for him who persecutes you..." How many times have you prayed for Don Imus, Rev. Sharpton?

I make no excuses for Don Imus. I do not support or condone what he said on his radio show. However, I do believe that vengeance belongs to God alone and it is up to Him to decide what punishment needs to be given to Mr. Imus. I don't understand why the true purveyors of hatred, isolation, bigotry, racism, sexism and ignorance (such as Rev. Sharpton and Rosie O'Donnell) think they have the right to spew their poison on the air but others don't have a right to voice his or her opinion.

The Rutgers team has every right to be offended. I'm a white guy who doesn't play basketball anywhere and I'm offended. But I don't have a right to call for Don Imus' resignation and neither does Al Sharpton. Where's the outrage when Rosie O'Donnell "outs" Clay Aiken unexpectedly? Where's the outrage when Al Sharpton insults white people by saying that blacks were the first slaves in this country (when in fact whites were the first slaves brought to this country.) Where's the outrage when these idiots stand up and speak their idiotic rantings or try to spread their pointless garbage?

This outrage is too one-sided and that is a problem.

Like I said, two wrongs don't make a right. I understand you're hurt, but hurting him will only HURT IMUS. It won't HEAL anything. So, really, what good is it?

These thoughts have been summarized for your protection.

Till next time this blog is brought to you by the letters W, E and H and by the number 2

No comments: